In fact the Saint-Corneille Abbey played an important role for the monarchs of the Middle Ages. J. Cl. Retrouvez ici toutes les informations du magasin Kookai 5 rue Napoleon à Compiegne (60200). By continuing to visit this site, you agree to the use of cookies for statistical purposes. The statue is of Joan of Arc and it recalls the attempted defence of the town in 1430 when that ‘Maid of Orleans’ was captured and handed over to the English. During the French Revolution, the château passed into the jurisdiction of the Minister for the Interior. RELAIS NAPOLEON à Compiègne - L’annuaire Hoodspot - Adresse, numéro de téléphone, produits et services de RELAIS NAPOLEON. Indeed he suggested that the château be turned into an imperial museum. Pavillon de chasse de l’Impératrice Eugénie Every time the imperial couple stayed at Compiègne they would come to visit the ruins and to see how the work was coming on. Discover Compiègne forest on foot with an official Office National des Forêts guided tour, from May to October. Meunier Bénédicte 12 r Trois Barbeaux, 60200 Compiègne Plus d'infos. : +33 (0)3 44 38 47 00; fax +33 (0)3 44 38 47 01 From Lille: motorway A1: exit 10 Arsy : +33 (0)3 44 40 72 55 Tel. Talk/visits from September to March at 11am and 3pm: 60200 Chantilly : +33 (0)3 44 62 62 62, Housed in what used to be the Priory of Saint-Maurice, this museum tells the history of hunting and coursing from the 15th century to the present day. Vous cherchez un professionnel domicilié 22 Avenue Napoleon à Compiègne ? Il y a deux siècles, le 27 mars 1810, une jeune archiduchesse autrichienne de dix-huit ans arrivait à Compiègne: Marie-Louise de Habsbourg (1791-1847), petite-nièce de Marie-Antoinette et fille aînée de l'empereur d'Autriche, y était accueillie par Napoléon Ier , l'un des hommes les plus puissants d'Europe. : +33 (0)3 44 40 01 00 – Fax: +33 (0)3 44 40 23 28 : +33 (0)3 44 38 54 50. Il faut se dépêcher de préparer les appartements de madame ! The Château de Compiègne is a French chateau, a royal residence built for Louis XV and restored by Napoleon. : +33 (0)3 44 29 51 50, This remarkable collection of French and international painting (14th to 19th century) is well worth a visit. This museum, installed in what used to be the Marshals apartments, was created in 1953 and comprises collections of painting, sculpture, furniture and objets d’art. Louis XV was perhaps even more favorably impressed; the Comte de Chevergny described his infatuation: In 1750, prominent architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel proposed a thorough renovation of the chateau. Group service: +33 (0)3 44 40 03 76 Morienval What was originally a simple wooden Merovingian villa, perfect as a hunting lodge, had become by the 5th and 6th centuries a ‘compendium palatium’ or palace, as several charters attest. The park is open from 8am to 5pm in winter and from 7-30am to 8pm in summer. Compiègne is the place where Napoleon met Marie-Louise, Napoléon had "his week ends". Accédez à l'adresse, au numéro de téléphone et aux horaires d'ouvertures ainsi qu'au trajet jusqu'au magasin. Contacter par courrier à l'adresse postale : 10 avenue marcellin berthelot zac de mercieres, 60200 Compiègne From April to end of October. November, December, January, February: 10am-12-30pm; 2pm-5pm; 10am-5-30pm on Sundays. The Château de Compiègne was a royal residence built for Louis XV and restored by Napoleon. Continue down the Rue Saint-Corneille to Rue Jeanne d’Arc. Call the Tourist Information Office to book. Visitors are presented with paintings, objets d’art, toys, clothing, illustrations of scene from Balzac or Flaubert, and most notably a large collection of china from Creil and Creil-Montereau. It was literally recreated in the middle of the 19th century by the Gothic revival genius, Viollet-le-Duc, and in his ‘restoration’ he revealed the extent of his abilities. To mention Les Cuirassiers en 1805 and Avant la charge by Meissonier, a study for Gros’s Pestiférés de Jaffa, and Les Grenadiers à cheval à Eylau by Detaille, is to name but a few. The writer Auguste Luchet remarked that "Compiègne speaks of Napoleon as Versailles does of Louis XIV". Compiègne really is an unexpected jewel on the edge of the huge forest where the Court liked to hunt and spend its weekends. It was no part of his great design that he should figure in history as the lovable little man at the centre of a court irresistible for its charm and frivolity. Magasin La Mie Câline 1 rue Napoléon à Compiegne. National Museum of the Château de Compiègne : "Pouf à cordes", n ° 88 of the guide of the Museum of Compiègne, by M.Terrier Price : 4800 € Artist : A.m.e. Fournier Period: 19th century Style: Napoleon 3rd Condition : Bon état Material : Bois noirçi Diameter : 55 cm Height : 48 cm Reference : 708642 Nor has this cultural and natural heritage been abandoned. Retrouvez ici toutes les informations du magasin Naf Naf Rue Napoléon à Compiegne (60200). Trois siècles d’art des jardins au château de Compiègne, catalogue of the exhibition organised by ” L’atelier au château “, DRAC Info Picardie, n°26, sept-oct. 1986 René-Lafarge, L’Impératrice Eugénie et ses femmes, chapitre XII ” Les ‘séries’ de Compiègne “, Hachette, 1938 : +33 (0)3.44.38.47.02, Imperial carriage rides (Museum of the Armistice clearing) Minitel: 36.15 COMPIEGNE Tourisme Life in Compiègne during the First and Second Empires. ... 5 r Napoléon, 60200 Compiègne Plus d'infos. Aumale’s eclecticism however reaches its climax in ‘Le Tribune’, where Watteau hangs next to Perugino and the portrait of Gaston d’Orléans forms an ensemble with that of Bonaparte by Gérard, and where Fra Angelico, Botticelli, Sassetta and Poussin are set alongside a fine ensemble of works by Ingres, namely L’autoportrait à vingt-quatre ans, Madame Devcauçay, and his Vénus Anadyomène. Château royal reconstruit entre 1755 et 1788 par Ange-Jacques Gabriel, Compiègne fut réaménagé à partir de 1807 sur ordre de Napoléon Ier afin de devenir une résidence impériale. Château de Compiègne was the preferred summer residence for the monarchs of France who would come to hunt in the nearby forest. This is the French edition of the catalogue relating to the exhibition Girodet et les décors à Compiègne. Frédéric Loliée, Les grandes dames de Compiègne sous le Second Empire, Paris : Jules Tallandier. On the other hand, some of the furniture and the decoration in some rooms were changed during the Second Empire. This typically 15th-century house was once the residence of the Bridge Masters, that is, the boatmen. The Château de Compiègne is a French chateau, a royal residence built for Louis XV and restored by Napoleon. From 17 April to to October, every weekend and public holiday; every day in July and August. The royal residence we know today, the Château de Compiègne, was built for Louis XV. The site has been a stud farm since 1876 and is today open to the public. The gardens, with their ensemble of flowers and shrubs from the world over, are superb. These avenues, originally made for the hunt, have made Compiègne forest a walker’s delight. The museum is situated next to the Songeons park in which stand the arcades of the cloister of a Jacobin convent. The theatre itself, linked to the palace by a covered gallery in the form of a bridge, was based on the Opéra de Versailles and has an excellent acoustic. Ver más ideas sobre chateau, francia, interior de palacio. By train: TGV – Roissy to Paris The hunts nearly always began here: only the invitees with ‘the button’ could participate – the rest had to follow in the carts. Further in, rooms entitled ‘La Rotonde’ and ‘Le Sanctuaire’ house masterpieces by Raphael, Filippino Lippi and the magnificent Heures d’Etienne Chevalier by Jean Fouquet. SCI ELDA 5 Avenue Napoleon, 60200 Compiègne. ‘Napoleon on a Hunt in the Forest of Compiègne’ was created by Carle Vernet in Neoclassicism style. Whether you are a private individual or a company, if you are a tax payer in France, you get tax benefits on donations to the Fondation Napoléon. Aucune évocation du Second Empire ne peut se faire sans qu'il soit question de Compiègne et des célèbres « séries ». Made in 1867 for the new apartments of the Empress Eugénie at the Elysee Palace, this exceptional Louis XVI style bed was designed by architect Robert Ruprich and made by the workshops of the Imperial Garde-meuble. And official portraits, historical and military scenes, works by the different manufactories and objects presented at the Universal Exhibitions all go to recreate the atmosphere of the reign. This giant axis, somewhat Schoenbrunn-esque in its appearance, linked and unified the garden, park and forest. Sous l’empire, « l’escalier de la Reine » donnait accès à l’appartement du Roi de Rome. However, lack of space meant that courtiers were forced to lodge in the town or in nearby châteaux. $8.99 + $2.00 Shipping. The principal tree species are oak, beech and hornbeam. La Cour revient à Compiègne après le mariage, célébré à Paris. ” Vers une restitution des états historiques : la politique exemplaire de Compiègne “, L’Estampille -L’objet d’art, 294, septembre 1995, p. 4-5 1, bd Victor Hugo 60200 Compiègne 1799 and 1800 saw the setting up of the ‘Prytanée militaire’ and Bonaparte’s first visit. Today's visitors can find three distinct museums within the chateau: the apartments themselves; the Museum of the Second Empire; and the National Car Museum (Le Musée de la Voiture), founded in 1927, with a collection of carriages, bicycles, and automobiles. – The park seen by carriage (1h) Ask a local: Hotel owner Alix de Lauzanne “Just outside Compiègne is the Confrécourt Quarry: old limestone quarries, which soldiers used as a refuge. Direct line from SNCF Gare du Nord à Paris – Compiègne – Amsterdam – Cologne. – 27 March – Napoleon leaves Compiègne to join Marie-Louise; they meet in front of the church of Courcelles-sur-Vesle . Compiègne was one of three seats of royal government, the … Indeed hunting was a royal and aristocratic passion and hence was the source of many interesting artistic commissions. 60 350 Pierrefonds Het Kasteel van Compiègne (Frans: Château de Compiègne) is een 18e-eeuws neoclassicistisch kasteel en een voormalige koninklijke en keizerlijke Franse residentie in het centrum van Compiègne, in het departement Oise, in het zuiden van de regio Hauts-de-France.De kasteeltuin grenst aan het grote bos van Compiègne, dat zich uitstrekt ten zuidoosten van Compiègne. Flat 35km circuit of cyclable tracks through the forest from Compiègne to Pierrefonds and passing via Saint-Jean-aux-Bois. Nous étions en 1810. La Cour revient à Compiègne après le mariage, célébré à Paris. 4 For an example of the former, Alan Forrest, ‘Napoleon as monarch: a political evolution’, in Alan Forrest and Peter H. Wilson, eds., The bee and the eagle: Napoleonic France and the end of the Holy Roman Empire, 1806 (London, 2009), p. 116. – The Musée national de la voiture et du tourisme and the parc visited by carriage (2h) : +33 (0)3 44 42 72 72 The political, artistic and scientific elite of the Second Empire all passed through the doors of Compiègne, where they were treated to entertainments of various types. Toutes les sociétés à cette adresse sont référencées sur l’annuaire Hoodspot ! Famous places in France. These stables, comprising two buildings arranged in an L-shape, could house 96 horses. In 1862, the greenhouse was transformed by Napoleon III into a Gallo-Roman museum. us578 paris salon napoleon a compiegne france history. L'architecte Berthault remania la décoration intérieure avec l'aide d'artistes et d'artisans renommés parmi lesquels Girodet, Dubois et Redouté pour les décors peints, Jacob-Desmalter et Marcion pour les 39, n°1, 1989, p. 70-79 Jean-Marie Moulin, Le Château de Compiègne : son histoire, sa constitution, Paris : RMN, 1991. Jean Dumont, “Les aménagements du Palais de Compiègne sous le Premier Empire“, Revue du Souvenir napoléonien, n°300, p.4-6 Musée Condé – Château de Chantilly Only the Napoleonic emblems were removed. The headings at the top of the page are to facilitate the organisation of your stay and they provide: an interactive map, practical information, information on where to stay and eat, information on other sites of interest in the region and finally a short bibliography. L'escalier d'honneur (ou escalier d'Appolon) Escalier avec une rampe en fer forgé réalisée en 1786. : +33 (0)3 44 85 14 18. Staircase with a wrought iron slope realized in 1786. The forest covers 15,000 hectares of land and contains almost 35 kilometres of cyclable tracks and 1,000 kilometres of pathways punctuated by 273 crossroads. Napoleon I had the stable enlarged but they were not to find their complete fulfillment until the Second Empire when they were used by the Imperial Hunt. From Paris: motorways A3, and then A1: exit 9 Chevrières or 10 Arsy Compiègne was one of three seats of the French royal government. The Forêt domaniale de Compiègne (Compiègne Forest), of which the park is simply a prolongation, has always been excellently maintained because of the fascination it held for the hunting-obsessed royalty of France. Waterloo Battlefield is one of the best preserved battlefields in the world. Talk/visits on specific themes from September to March at 3pm. Even before the chateau was constructed, Compiègne was the preferred summer residence for French monarchs, primarily for hunting given its proximity to Compiègne Forest. Accédez à l'adresse, au numéro de téléphone et aux horaires d'ouvertures ainsi qu'au trajet jusqu'au magasin. Visit permitted only by prior appointment with Office National des Forêts: +33 (0)3 44 40 02 75. Similarly, in 1814, on his return from exile, it was here that Louis XVIII was received by Napoleon’s marshals. Tel. Closed until 9:30 AM (Show more) He visited again in 1803 and was able to see at firsthand the damage caused by the introduction of the Ecole des Arts et Métiers. Le théâtre est resté en l'état. The town of Compiègne is preparing a large exhibition planned for October 2000 entitled ‘Napoleon III and archeology’. 4. Contacter par courrier à l'adresse postale : 10 avenue marcellin berthelot zac de mercieres, 60200 Compiègne : +33 (0)3 44 20 26 04) Paul Ganière, “Marie-Louise et Napoléon à Compiègne“, Revue du Souvenir napoléonien, n°300, p. 7-16 – 13 March – Marie-Louise leaves Vienna. BP 10769 – 60207 Compiègne Cedex 2 27-jul-2015 - Explora el tablero "FRANCIA CHATEAU DE COMPIEGNE" de Rocio Torres, que 648 personas siguen en Pinterest. Association pour le Théâtre de Compiègne Musée de la clairière de l’Armistice The failure of Napoleon III can be measured by the affection which surrounds his memory. The modern, Florence Gould pavilion presents a collection of paintings and sculptures by American and French artists of the 19th and 20th centuries. Indeed the museum is particularly touching with its exhibits connected with the heir to the throne’s education, the sovereigns’ charity work, their visit to the provinces or abroad, their life in exile and the Prince Impérial’s fatal journey to South Africa. It is shot through with magnificent avenues and as such is ideal for horse riding – indeed it has always been rich is big game and was the preferred site for hunting and coursing. Built in 1612 by Salomon de Brosse, the four pavilions of the château have been arranged in themes around the different personalities who have worked for Franco-American cooperation in the period from the 18th to the 20th centuries. Jean-Marie Moulin, Guide du musée national du château de Compiègne, RMN, 1992. Indeed one of these events is also commemorated by a statue in the square in front of the town hall. Compiègne has not only been a royal town and the seat of an imperial power and its palace, it is also an old city full of charm, with winding streets and half-timbered houses, affording delightful strolls. It formed part of the defences for the old bridge over the Oise. The distinguishing features of both the interior and exterior are simplicity, rigour and clarity. Every day there are 19 Paris-Compiègne trains, 10 of which do the journey in less than 52 minutes. Napoleon III style Empress Eugénie's bed at the Chateau de Compiègne. For more information on how to configure cookies, click here.. From one empire to the other, the château and forest of Compiègne were the backdrop for the most remarkable pomp and ceremony. Tel. Dominique Auzias, Le Petit Futé : Compiègne 1999-2000, City Guides, 1999. Its remarkable setting in the heart of the Oise valley, on the edge of a vast forest renowned for its hunting, is the explaination as to why it held a special place in the hearts of all the kings of France. The room distribution was altered, a ballroom was built, and the garden was replanted and linked directly to the forest. Whether you are a private individual or a company, if you are a tax payer in France, you get tax benefits on donations to the Fondation Napoléon. Since 1914, the site is protected and has therefore changed little since the fighting of 1815. Itinéraires. Indeed Compiègne was to see its swan song during the Second Empire, when it became the official residence of imperial court during the autumn and the stage on which contemporary society was to appear in its entirety during the famous ‘Series’. Deconsecrated many years ago, the building has been much rebuilt, however vestiges of coloured decoration in the pediment can still be seen. Ce week-end, cela fera exactement 200 ans que le couple se rencontra, à Compiègne. – History, décor and furniture The 18th-century courtier, the Comte de Chevergny, described Louis XV’s infatuation with the place in the following words: ‘Hunting was his main passion […] And Compiègne, with its immense forest, with its endless avenues amongst the trees, with its stretches down which you could ride all day and never come to the end, was the ideal place to indulge that passion’. It is located in Compiègne in the Oise department and is open to the public. For about a month and a half (usually from the end of October to the beginning of December), hundreds of guests (ferried to Compiègne on special trains from Gare du Nord) were received every week by the royal couple. Entreprise Napoleon à Compiègne (60200) Dernière mise à jour : 24/11/20. Brigitte Ducrot, Porcelaines et terres de Sèvres au musée national de Compiègne, RMN, 1993. 1, bd Victor-Hugo 60200 Compiègne The Musée du Second Empire is a collection of vivid reminders of this brilliant epoch. In 1804 the château became an imperial domain and in 1807 he ordered it be made habitable again. Pierre Clapot et Françoise Teynac, Théâtres de châteaux, Editions du Mécène, 1996. Madame Adélaïde, the King’s daughter poured praise upon ‘charming Compiègne’ which she ‘simply adored’. There are in total about 100,000 figurines from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, and they are all arranged in dioramas. This architectural ensemble, enlarged, modified and transformed, was to serve as a residence for the kings of France up until the middle of the 19th century. Renouant avec le cérémonial d’Ancien Régime, c’est à Compiègne que Napoléon reçut sa nouvelle épouse Marie-Louise en 1810, tout comme Marie-Antoinette y avait été accueillie quarante ans plus tôt. In 1869, a bronze statue of Louis XII on horseback was reinstalled in the central niche. The Forest of Compiègne, in northern France, is a peaceful place—which makes coming across the Armistice Memorial something of a shock.First, you see the heavily symbolic and massive Alsace Lorraine Monument—a huge sculpture depicting a sword cutting down the Imperial Eagle of Germany. : +33 (0)3 44 05 14 28. Most of the items are from the Restoration and the Second Empire periods. Many of them were crowned or buried there – the last to be laid to rest here was Henri III whose body (after his assassination) was to remain there for 21 years. Nestled in the Compiègne forest, the Glade of the Armistice (known as Clairière de l’Armistice in French) is where Germany and the Allied soldiers of the First World War agreed to end their battles on land, sea and air. Indeed he suggested that the château be turned into an imperial museum. Viollet-le-Duc, who restored it in the 19th century, described it as the ‘best example of civil architecture in the whole of the north of France’. The Forest of Compiegne to the south-east of the town is very attractive, very popular with locals and visitors alike, and there are seemingly endless paths, trails and cycle paths to explore in the forest.. Work was continued during the Restoration and Berthault was to complete his garden with the addition of several other features, notably: a rose garden, the ‘Cours du Pistolet’, a ‘triangle de “tous les diables”‘, and a temperate greenhouse. (Musée Antoine Vivenel, 2, rue d’Austerlitz 60200 Compiègne tel. This fine French tapestry shows Napoleon hunting in the Compiegne Forest.It is based on artwork by artist and lithographer, Carle Vernet (1758-1836) and belongs to a series of works showing Napoleon, his second wife, Marie-Louise, and courtiers hunting in the Compiegne forest, just outside Paris. Every day from April to October (groups only, reserve in advance). There are about thirty statues, of which some are in the antique style and were brought from the Tuileries and the Louvre. The Manufactory, founded in 1664, is open to visitors on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday afternoons. Retrouvez ici toutes les informations du magasin La Mie Câline 1 rue Napoléon à Compiegne (60200). A side chapel houses the relics from the Saint-Corneille abbey, most notably a piece of the Virgin’s veil. Go back up the Rue Austerlitz to the Eglise Saint-Antoine, built in the 13th and 17th centuries. On leaving the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville, turn right into the Rue des Patissiers then take Rue des Minimes to Place du Général de Gaulle (previously the Place d’Armes). Here, the works are arranged irrespective of the school or period; Poussin hangs next to Veronese, Champaigne, Nattier, de Troy, Lancret, Gérard and Delacroix. 3 – Guided visits with qualified tour guides: Cours du Château 60100 Creil To follow this itinerary in its entirety, you should set aside a long weekend. Ce véritable coup de théâtre mettait, en effet, terme à une longue période d'incertitudes et de supputations qui s'était instaurée en Europe depuis plusieurs mois. Go on down this road as far as the Rue des Cordeliers and turn left where you will see the Eglise Saint-Jacques. Tel. With the defeat at Sedan and the fall of the Second Empire, work stopped and a part of the decoration was never completed. 60000 Beauvais Vous cherchez du Rouge à lèvres, du Fond de teint, des Palettes de maquillage ou encore un Soin visage ? RELAIS NAPOLEON à Compiègne - L’annuaire Hoodspot - Adresse, numéro de téléphone, produits et services de RELAIS NAPOLEON. Collectif, Oise 1 / 150 000 (Carte départementale), Michelin, Cartes et plans. Oulà ! Pour marquer cet évènement, le Palais Impérial de Compiègne a mis en place une exposition exceptionnelle rassemblant tableaux, objets d’Art, mobiliers, bijoux et costumes, autant de témoignages qui évoquent Marie-Louise, Napoléon et leur mariage. As a result the museum owns a good many fine quality works of art, notably engravings by Stefano della Bella and Jacques Callot, paintings by Jean Sauvé, Jacques Fouquières and Paul de Vos, not forgetting well-known works by Desportes and Oudry. Tel. Napoleon restored the château after it was left gutted during the French Revolution, and he ordered it to be made habitable again in 1807. First of all for its setting: the Petit-Château dating from the 16th century and the Grand-Chateau built between 1875 and 1882 for the Duc d’Aumale and the splendid park designed by Le Nôtre. ‘Compiègne speaks of Napoleon as Versailles does of Louis XIV’ as Auguste Luchet, the temporary ‘gouverneur’ of the palace in 1848, was fond of saying. : +33 (0)3.44.38.47.00, L’Association européenne pour les théâtres de cour et théâtres privés Dans la niche centrale, un poêle supporte depuis 1808 un moulage de l’Apollon du Belvédère. Facing the hospital is the Tour Jeanne d’Arc (also known as the Tour Beauregard and the Grosse tour du Roi), the remains of a 12th-century royal keep. Compiègne was much lived in by the courts of Napoléon and Napoléon III, who used to spend a month at a time in the autumn where he hunted like his predecessors Louis XIII and Louis XV. Performance bookings (numéro vert): 0800 03 13 46, Château de Pierrefonds Le Dessert de Napoléon ou gâteau de Compiègne ou Compiégnois est un gâteau fait d’une brioche de pâte Compiègne dans laquelle on intercale des tranches d’ananas, le centre étant garni de dés d’ananas chauffés dans un sirop. Marie-France Healer, Circuits pédestres T55 : pays d’Oise, Franck Mercier, 1996. Constructed in 1801, the building houses a remarkable collection of antiquities from the region, as well as an exceptional display of Greek vases. Tel. Themes include: ‘In the foosteps of the Empress Eugènie: The forest around the étangs de Saint-Pierre’; ‘Night walks: a new sensation’; ‘His majesty the stag, a twilight watch’, etc. En poursuivant votre navigation vous acceptez notre politique d’utilisation de … Elle y retourne l'été suivant, le couple impérial étant accompagné, cette fois-ci, du roi de Rome. Ange-Jacques Gabriel had drawn up plans for a ‘French’ garden between the château and the forest in his reconstruction project. 02300 Chauny Each crossroads has an evocative name mounted on an elegant post, on which there is also a red pointer indicating the direction of Compiègne. – The Musée national de la voiture et du tourisme, departure from the park by carriage and visit to the stud farm (2h) Marie-Blanche d’Arneville, Parcs et jardins sous le Premier Empire, Paris, Tallandier, 1981 In fact, Compiègne is the only imperial residence which still has today its décor and furniture of 1808-1810. Imperial Theatre Tout se met en place dehors pour l’accueil, les laquais torche à la main, un orchestre prêt à jouer, même. The Tournai stone fonts date from the 13th century and come from the Saint Corneille abbey. The architects Berthault, Percier and Fontaine, the decorators Dubois and Redouté and the cabinet makers Jacob-Desmalter and Marcion formed the team charged with bringing the palace back to its former royal glory. Both the 1918 armistice that ended WWI and the French surrender of 1940 were signed in a wooded area just outside town. The former royal residence was reborn, under the direction of Louis-Martin Berthault, an architect from Malmaison. Charles the Bald, in the middle of the 9th century, made Compiègne his official seat of office from which he wielded first royal and later imperial authority. Of particular interest is a statue of the Virgin by Caffieri dated 1775. Boat trips on the Oise and the Aisne Of all Napoleon’s homes the Palais de Compiègne was the only one that was completely decorated and furnished in the new artistic style predominantly forged by Percier and Fontaine that looked back to antiquity and equated 9 – 60321 CompiègneCedex On va où ? Avocat compiegne. Just like Napoleon I, Napoleon III too fell under its spell. Architects Berthault, Percier and Fontaine, decorators Dubois and Redouté, and cabinetmakers Jacob-Desmalter and Marcion restored the château. May, June, July, August: 10am-6pm For information, consult the Tourist Information Office and the Ecuries de la Chaussée (Mr Cassez +33 (0)1 64 36 65 42), Haras national (National stud farm) Tel. Guided tours led by French Ministry of Culture guides: The place became a ‘domaine impérial’ in 1804, and in 1807 Napoleon, while in Finkenstein, ordered that the residence should be made inhabitable. The Théâtre français de la Musique performs operas and concerts there every year. The building is however only open during exhibitions. Compiègne, 60 km north from the City of Lights, is an out of the beaten track city at the edge of a marvelous royal forest.It boasts a royal Palace, inhabited by Napoléon, and Pierrefonds, a spectacular medieval castle. © Fondation Napoléon 2021 ISSN 2272-1800. The bell tower has a lantern which was added in the 17th century. And although the palace suffered during the Revolution, it was to return to its glory under the Empire when it was transformed into an imperial residence which rivaled both Versailles and Fontainebleau. Napoleon I chose to receive his second wife at the Palais de Compiègne, just as Marie-Antoinette had been received here in 1770 by Louis XV and the Dauphin, the future Louis XVI. Whilst some of the surviving décor dates back to Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette, the Empire style dominates. As a stopping point during the ceremonial of coronations, as a hunting reserve, as halt on the road north, Compiègne is the only other royal dwelling, along with Versailles and Fontainebleau, to have had the privilege of being the seat of government. Les anecdotes plus ou moins contrôlables les concernant sont particulièrement nombreuses. In the belfry hangs the ‘Bancloque’, one of the oldest known bells anywhere, dated 1303. The museum was founded as a result of the bequest of the collection of Alfred Ternisien and it provides a panoramic view of the military history of France, from Antiquity to the Second World War. … du Château de Pierrefonds, a superb example of military architecture, restored by the architect Viollet-le-Duc to a glory which even at its zenith it had never known. Near to the village of Rethondes, in a train carriage parked in a clearing about 6km from Compiègne, Maréchal Foch dictated to the defeated Germans the text of the Armistice of 11 November 1918. The works all come from the French national furniture collection, the Mobilier national. In a conscious attempt to re-associate Compiègne with its royal past, it was there in 1810 that Marie-Louise was received by her husband to be, just as Marie-Antoinette had been 40 years earlier. Etangs de Saint-Pierre